- San Gabriel Mountains Backcountry Ski Patrol: Boast 15 members, working in service with the US Forest Service. Provide on-call service to backcountry areas of the San Gabriel Mountains.
Nearby Avalanche Centers
- Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center (ESAC): The one and only avalanche forecasting center in the Eastern Sierra.
- Sierra Avalanche Center (SAC): Avalanche forecasting for the Tahoe area. Great resource for up-to-date snowpack reports. We hope that one day So Cal Snow's reports page will look like theirs!
- Mt. Shasta Avalanche Center
- Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center (Arizona)
- Central Oregon Avalanche Association: This group is similar to So Cal Snow, as they do not produce official advisories, but instead promote awareness and user-submitted field reports.
- American Avalanche Association (AAA): The American umbrella organization for all things avalanche.
- American Institute for Avalanche Education and Research (AIARE): Operates under AAA guidelines, but creates a unified cirriculum for avalanche education. Best place to find AVI course listings.
- Avalanche.org: National map of avalanche centers, avalanche course listings, and US avalanche accident reports.
- Forest Service National Avalanche Center: This informative website details basic backcountry and avalanche skills, ranging from snowpit tests to survival skills.
Below is the North American Public Avalanche Danger Scale, which offers explanations of the danger levels and what each means. These are the ratings you will find on avalanche advisories. As well, many advisories will use the avalanche danger rose.